Saturday, July 18, 2020

Boys' Room Redo Plus A Big Win

 If you follow me on Instagram, you already have seen the big overhaul we did to the boys room. 

The three little boys live in a big addition that was added on to the house before we bought it.  I think it was meant for a game room, because it does not have a closet, and it has a door leading to the backyard (we've blocked the door off). This room has needed love for a very long time.  We never painted it when we moved in 11 years ago, and so the walls still had the same flat white paint that cannot be cleaned.  Flat white paint + little boys = big mess.

Here are the before pictures.  I started to take books out of the shelves before realizing I should take a picture first.

In process.  This was a very big project!

Years ago, I painted these little butterflies on the wall in here, because Ladybug was in this room and I wanted to do something to make it pretty.  I couldn't bring myself to paint over them, so the boys get to have butterflies on their wall.  :)

I can't quite bring myself to say we have too many books.  But I got close during this project. :)

And here is the after.  One side of the room for sleeping and dressing and the other side is for playing.

Notice in this picture on the far wall the stacks of things on top of the filing cabinet?  I left them there because they were all pictures the kids had done that needed put away, but I didn't have any energy left to do it then.  It really was it's own project.

I don't have a close up of the before over here, because I didn't really plan to do this today.  But I managed to find some extra time (you know, just lying around as it does) and so I tackled it.  It may not look like much, but this is a huge win for me.

These three binders are all that remain of the "to be dealt with" pile.  The pink binder is from Ladybug's days in Little Flowers and she really wants to keep the pages.  The blue and green binders are Fritter's and Ladybug's Book of Centuries up through 5th grade.  In 6th grade my kids transition to a composition book for their BOC's.  My thought is that I will get these all spiral bound so they can be flipped through now and them.

We have had this filing cabinet lying around since early in our marriage.  I've used it for various things but for the past couple of years it has just been taking up room.  Meanwhile, I had been keeping all of the kids pictures they make in binders that took up precious book shelf space (and it's obvious I really need that space!).  Today I repurposed the top drawer for the kids things, and checked a big to-do off my list.

Each kid has a set of hanging folders that are separated as PK-K, 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-6th, 7th-8th, and high school.

And now I have a real space to keep treasures such as this from my Ladybug from years ago.

I also have a spot to keep the kids' completed narration notebooks.  There's so much good work in these, I couldn't possibly throw them away.

This filing cabinet was painted the same time the butterflies on the walls were, and makes an ugly piece of furniture a little prettier.

It may not seem like much, but it's a big win for me.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Wow, you really did accomplish a big task.Looks really nice. I bet the boys like it much better as well. Lots of Love.