Saturday, February 16, 2008

We Spent The Night... the emergency room. I had talked to an advice nurse earlier in the day, who told me that if Fritter got worse, to call again. The poor little guy would fall asleep, and then about 20 minutes or so later, would wake up coughing, and we would go to the shower or outside, until he stopped and then I would lay him down and it would happen all over again. Also, no matter what I did, I could not get his fever to break, so around midnight, I called the nurse again, who told me he needed to go to the hospital. He was wheezing and breathing heavily.

When we got to the hospital, right away, they took us back and had him weighed and took a rectal temperature (he peed on the nurse), and then they gave him an oral dose of a steroid. Then, we went back and had some X-rays done, and because there is a chance that I could be pregnant, I could not be there with him. He was so scared, and screamed the whole way through. Afterwards, we were told to wait. And wait we did.

They finally called us back to a room around 4:30. So far, Fritter had slept about 30 minutes in the hospital, and maybe a total of 1 1/2 hours at home...all day. Back in the room, the doctor told us the X-rays looked fine, and he had croup and an upper respiratory infection. No medicine, since they are both viral infections, and we just have to wait it out. We were told that if he started the barking cough again and wheezing, we would need to come back to get more of the steroid. Before checking out, they took his temperature and other vitals again... and he peed on the nurse again. I think he was trying to tell them something.

I know I don't want to go back, and I'm definate that Fritter doesn't either. He is usually a freindly little guy, but not last night, and who can blame him. He wanted no one to touch him, but his mama. We got home around 5:30 this morning I think, and after a bowl of rice cereal, I sent him to bed. He's been awake twice so far (it's 2:15 pm) but only long enough to eat a bowl of oatmeal and some yogurt. He's also had a bath and a couple of diaper changes, but wants nothing more than to sleep. I think I'll get him up around 3, so he will sleep tonight, hopefully. I'm glad I rented so many movies, because I don't think we'll be doing much of anything else this weekend.

My husband feels awful for being away during this, but I told him that he can make it up to me by sharing the chocolates he got me for Valentine's Day.


Michelle said...

I hope he gets better soon. Poor guy.

And congratulations on the possibile pregnancy.

Cmerie said...

Thank you. I'm sure he'll feel better in a few days. His voice is very hoarse and scratchy right now. It's very sad.

We are hoping we are pregnant, right now it's a wait and see.

Cheryl said...

I'm sorry that your son is sick. I will keep you in my prayers.

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Hope little Fritter starts to feel better real soon! It's awful when our little ones are so sick like that. I'll be praying for him.