Monday, February 24, 2014

Potty Training and Second Guessing Myself

Day 1 of potty training Sunflower is complete.  Over all it has gone well.  We had one accident first thing, which I expected.  We have (so far) had no other accidents, which I did not expect (we'll see how tonight goes, but still, pretty awesome).  It seems my little Sunflower is a finicky little thing and takes the idea of keeping clean and dry pants to the next level.

Before her nap, I set her on the potty and asked her if she could do her thing.  She didn't do her thing, but every time I tried to get her away from the potty to chance it, she refused to leave.  So there she sat, and there she fell asleep.  I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture, because it was really an adorable sight.  I did wake her up and put her in bed and she did actually nap without an accident.  Hurray!  We'll see how tonight goes.

My dear husband is out of town for the week for a super important business meeting, so if you think about it say a little prayer for him.  And for us.  I, of course in typical CMerie fashion, decided to use this time that he is away to potty train.  In theory it sounded like a good idea (most of my ideas ARE good, in theory).  In practice I've been second guessing my decision all day, and especially all evening.  Why would I do that when it seems that potty training has gone well so far?

Because by the time 8:00pm rolled around, and my husband called to chat, I was sitting in the hallway waiting for Sunflower to go potty so I could put her in bed.  I still hadn't showered today, (I have now thankyouverymuch.  That comes before blogging in my book.) the kitchen was a nightmare (I also decided to do a little baking project with the kids after dinner, and we still had breakfast dishes in the sink.  Why do I do this to myself?!), the master bathroom has (I say has because it is still there) a full load of laundry (dirty) on the floor and I'm not sure where it all came from, and the rest of the house looks as if a toddler tornado came rolling through it.  In my head, if the house isn't clean, I have failed for the day.

But is that really true?  I mean, I potty trained my almost three year old today, I managed to get homeschooling done in a reasonable time, and I filed our taxes.  Sometimes success looks a little different in real life.

Yeah.  It's been a good day.

No comments: