Monday, February 18, 2013

Maternity Shirt Sleeve Redo Plus A Bonus Belly Shot

Why do maternity clothes companies hate pregnant women so much?  Between the waistband of bottoms that never seem to stay put (and in later pregnancy even a Belly Band is not much help.  The constriction!) and the elastic banded shirt sleeves that seem to only be made to fit a four year old are pure torture.  I don't think I necessarily have unusually large arms, so I can't be the only one who has had to suffer from this.  For future reference, all you maternity clothing companies that read my blog, (yeah right!) no more elastic shirt sleeves!  We want style AND comfort and many times comfort trumps style, especially in the third trimester.
 
So I have had to take matters into my own hands.  Not wanting to buy still more maternity shirts for a mere three months left of pregnancy, and trying to use the policy of "make due with what you have", I sat down with my seam ripper and the full knowledge that I could be ruining three of my shirts.  But really, since I couldn't stand to wear them anyway because of the grooves in my arms created by those darned elastic bands, it didn't matter.
 
 
 
Here is a before picture of the only shirt I have left to fix.  I forgot to take before pictures of the other two, but they were all basically the same torturous sleeves.  Forgive the awful coloring in the picture.  Not sure what was going on there.
 

Seriously, this sleeve might comfortably fit my four year old.  Yeouch!
 
 
 
Here is an after of one of the fixed shirts.  Again, the color.  Even with a new camera, I can somehow manage to take very bad pictures.
 

 
The fixed sleeve.  You can see the the sleeve went from a sort of cap to more of a butterfly shape.  Ladies, we can have comfort and style together.  Sometimes we just have to do a little more work to achieve it.  
 
 
The second fixed shirt.  I was so glad I was able to fix this one, because other than the dreaded sleeve, it is a cute shirt.
This sleeve did not actually have elastic in the sleeves, but had a binding around it that made the sleeve runch at the top.  This one really hurt while wearing it, because no elastic meant even more of a squeeze on the arms.  So I ripped the binding out, ripped the runching out and folded the material over on itself (twice) and then sewed.
 
So want to see it on? 

 A front view so you can see how the sleeves fit after the fix.  My dear hubby is out of town and I did this while the kids were in bed.  So, sort of a cheesy self shot.  :)

 And a side view just so you can see the belly.

The moral of this story is: don't settle for uncomfortable sleeves four pregnancies in a row.  Really, I can't believe I've been torturing myself with these shirts for so long.  Make due!  Fix it!  And if you ruin it, you've at least stopped yourself from wearing something uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You did an amazing job, Cmerie! What a great idea! And you look lovely!

God bless and keep you!

~Kate