Thursday, August 23, 2012

Compassion: Living in the Spirit of St. Francis

I really wanted to like this book.  I really tried hard to use it as my "deep" book.  I couldn't.  It sat and it sat, and I would pick it up now and then, read a few pages, get maybe one good insight but be struck that something was just a little...off and put it down.  I truly got to page 7 and put the book down.  As soon as this review is finished, the book will be put among the box of things on their way out of my home.  Here is the first quote that turned me off, though I couldn't put into words why:

Space-time seems to have a hidden relationship with consciousness.  Pierre Teilhard de Chardin said that the whole process of evolution is an unfolding of consciousness, as matter becomes spirit.  From the Big Bang onward, consciousness is part of the material world, the "withinness" according to Teilhard, of the material "withoutness."  The symmetry between light and consciousness evokes the idea that mind is in matter....

A simple Google search told me there was controversy in the Church surrounding Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and that the author of Compassion, Sr. Ilia Delio, has been interested in his works and writings.  That is enough for me to back away from the book.

As another reviewer said, there are plenty of good, quality books on the subject of Compassion and also of our beloved St. Francis.  Why waste your time on something that verges on New Age theology?

*This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Compassion: Living in the Spirit of St. Francis. The Catholic Company is also a great online store for all your Catholic gift needs, such as baby baptism and christening gifts. You can also find a wide selection of Catholic Bible Studies for both parish groups and individuals, as well as a variety of other Catholic Bible study resources.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Too bad! What a disappointment!

~Kate