Friday, December 3, 2010

Insatiable Need

I'm assuming it's the pregnancy hormones.  I put on a video of Frosty the Snowman a few days ago for the kids, and got teary eyed.  It seemed so amazing to think that my children would now enjoy the same video I loved as a child.  I had to turn away before I got too dusty. 

Hallmark commercial?  I'm staying as far away from those as I can.  I'm not sure I could pull myself together if I saw one.

I am pulling my family close to me and really don't want to let go.  All the stuff that happens outside these four walls?  I'm not all that interested, truth be told, and want to just stay put.  If I had my way, I'd snuggle on the couch for hours with my children, reading books, and telling stories.

But, alas, there are other people in this house who have very real needs/wants of their own.  The children want to run and play, and they only have so much time to spare on their sentimental mother.  And I can only squeeze so much out of my dear husband, who lately has been giving every bit of himself to our family.  He needs his own time too.

And though my dear ones have really stepped up and are trying to provide this sentimental bag of mush with what they can offer, I seem to want more.  My thirst is insatiable.

So while I'm still feeling needy, and what my human family cannot possibly give me, I am looking elsewhere.  I am looking to the One who is always willing to give.  Who gave his entire self for me.  Who wants nothing more than to love me and for me to love him back. 

And though my home isn't ready, and the presents aren't ready, and nobody else really seems ready, I can't wait to behold the Word made Flesh.

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

No comments: