Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pre-Vacation Blues

With vacation looming and the deadline of a large project at work, my dear, dear husband has been working basically non-stop since last week. When I say non-stop, I'm talking about 12-15 hour days Monday through Friday and again both Saturday and Sunday. He's hoping to be able to stay home this weekend. I'm hoping, too.

This morning I complained that this was the longest two weeks of my life. I looked to my husband for confirmation that it was indeed the longest two weeks of his life. Wrong. He said it's been the shortest. And that's the difference between what my husband deals with daily and what I deal with daily.

When he is putting in long hours, he looks to the clock and realizes it's 7:30pm and hasn't even had time to eat lunch. He walks in long enough to kiss the baby and kiss the three-year-old before it's time for them to go to bed. And before he knows it, it's 11pm and he needs to get up at 5am to do it all over again. And he has still managed to not complain, and to give what he can to us when he gets home.

I, on the other hand, look to the clock and realize it's only 9:30am and I'm already at my wits end. I have a house to clean, children to feed, laundry to attend to, and a trip to plan, and at some point I can't even bring myself to get started on any of it. I suppose I could put the kids in front of a movie and read books to my hearts content. And that's ok every once in a while. But not everyday for two weeks.

When I face long days like today, I realize there is nothing more for me to do, but get up, follow my rule, and pray that God makes the most of my efforts. It's days like today I really need Him to walk with me. It's days like today that my prayer commitments are probably the most important things to fulfill. And it's days like today that I need to be thankful for all the great blessings we have. My husband, who provides for us, for the house that I have the opportunity to clean, the children I have been blessed to care for. These frustrations are truly blessings, and I should treat them as such.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Bless your heart, you have a wonderful family, your life truly is blessed. Lots of Love to you and yours.