Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grand Family Adventure

In about a week and a half we will begin our grand family adventure. We are taking a road trip to Louisiana to visit family and then we'll go on to Georgia to visit more family. But wait, to add even more adventure, we are not planning on staying in hotels. We are going to camp out along the way (ahem, in campgrounds, with showers. We're not that brave.).

This has made planning interesting. (If you know my husband and I you know that we are very much planning people). Did you know that between here and there is an entire stretch of dry, dusty, desert land? With only a few places possible considering safety and comfort? Well, at least according to my research that's the case. I keep imagining us somewhere in West Texas with nothing to provide shade except a stray tumbleweed.

Really though, I think we've got it figured out. The second night we are staying outside of San Antonio. And the very cool thing about this is that we are going to attend Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower! I've checked out pictures online and the church is gorgeous with Mass at just the right time. Our journey out of San Antonio takes us right past the Alamo. We could probably spend a lot of time exploring San Antonio, but my husband says we need to make good time. ;-)

We've also promised each other that drive-thrus are prohibited and nothing but gas may be purchased at a convenience store. This means we either eat our own food, or suffer through a sit down restaurant with two kids who have been trapped in a van for hours. So I've planned for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all snacks to be eaten either on the road or in our campsites.

I still am hoping to jot down the cheapest gas stations along our route. And I also need to plan things to keep the kids happy in the van. We do have video in our van, so that will help. But I don't really like the idea of them watching movies the entire trip. It's good for them to be a little bored. But I am recording appropriate shows off PBS and Smile of a Child.

And after all this planning, I still have to wait about a week and a half for it to become reality. Have I mentioned I'm not very good at practicing patience?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Way behind on blog reading...WHERE in Georgia are you going? Anywhere near the coast? I'd LOVE to make you a meal or two and give you a break.