Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Today Has Been A Day

And it's only half over. Fritter woke up this morning around 6:30 all jumpy and ready to play. I sent him back to his room, because I have this rule. The no-coming-out-of-your-room-until-7 rule. It used to be the no-coming-out-of-your-room-until-7:30 rule, but that wasn't really working. So I started waking up a little earlier for my morning prayers, and pushed the Rule back to 7. That's called flexibility. Yep. But now, NOW, he wants to be up at 6:30. I'm not really willing to get up any earlier (I'm so not a morning person), but I really, really need that time with just me and the Lord. Otherwise I get a day like today.

So, this morning I sent him back to his room, with the firm instructions to read books until I came and got him. That's fair. He likes to read books. Except for today. So every two minutes or so he would pop right back out of his room, to see if it was time to get up yet. And it wasn't, and I was fuming, and it was like all that prayer had never happened. So, I decided that Mass would be good for us. I needed to be filled up, and the kids needed to sit still. Oh, Mass. It's Lent. I suppose I should just offer it up. Which I would have remembered and could have done had not a zillion things gone wrong today. Why is it that I don't remember to do the right thing until after I've done everything wrong? *sigh*

I did catch part of the priest's homily today. Something about it's good to have laws and rules, and important to follow them. But those laws and rules have to be backed by reason and truth. The heart is what is important. I wonder if I had not been so harsh in enforcing the Rule this morning if our day would have been different? But that rule is there for a reason, and giving in may have only made things worse. Motherhood is such a quandary.

After this, there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. Now there is in Jerusalem at the Sheep Gate a pool called in Hebrew Bethesda, with five porticoes. In these lay a large number of ill, blind, lame, and crippled. One man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had been ill for a long time, he said to him, "Do you want to be well?" The sick man answered him, "Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; while I am on my way, someone else gets down there before me." Jesus said to him, "Rise, take up your mat, and walk." Immediately the man became well, took up his mat, and walked. Now that day was a sabbath. So the Jews said to the man who was cured, "It is the sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to carry your mat." He answered them, "The man who made me well told me, 'Take up your mat and walk.'" They asked him, "Who is the man who told you, 'Take it up and walk'?" The man who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had slipped away, since there was a crowd there. After this Jesus found him in the temple area and said to him, "Look, you are well; do not sin anymore, so that nothing worse may happen to you." The man went and told the Jews that Jesus was the one who had made him well. Therefore, the Jews began to persecute Jesus because he did this on a sabbath. -John 5:1-16

So I took the kids to the adoration chapel, showed them Jesus and told them to be quiet. I prayed. That was nice. I remember someone somewhere saying that she would take her kids to the adoration chapel and tell God that they were His kids first and He needed to do something with them. My prayer was something like that.

Once back home, things were peaceful for all of 5 minutes right after I put Ladybug down for her nap. And then glutton for punishment that I am, I decided now was a good time to go through the kid's toys and get rid of some. I've been meaning to do it for sometime. Today sounded good. But, again, I didn't think, and had Fritter right there as I dumped broken car after not played with car after not played with toy in the giveaway box. All of a sudden even the broken car with two missing wheels was his most favorite car ever. I told you. I'm not that smart sometimes. I did manage to get rid of a good chunk, and do feel better for it, but it was a fight.

Then, we had storytime at the library which I had planned on all week. Even though neither Fritter nor I deserved it, we had to get out and have some fun. And it was fun. I love watching the kids dance and chase bubbles. So cute.

I had packed us a lunch and we went to the park next door to eat it and play. Bad timing. There was some sort of a party going on and lots of kids in a small park equals a stressful park outing. Fritter enjoyed himself until a bigger, meaner kid decided to push Fritter down in the rocks and throw and kick dirt at him. My poor bugger is not used to being around mean kids and was shocked more than hurt. But he was hurt a little, and his feelings were hurt worse.

I think it would be different if he was older and could defend himself, but right now he's still little and relies on me to protect him. My mama bear claws came out, but I managed a semblance of control. I told the kid that we don't play like that. I managed a forceful NO at him. I then told Fritter to play at a different part of the playground, and the boy avoided both me and him for the rest of our time there. The other mom was nowhere to be seen. Of course.

Soon I had had enough, headed home and dumped the kids in bed. I think I'll hide my head for the rest of the day. Maybe that way we'll all stay out of trouble.

1 comment:

Mom said...

God bless your heart baby, you really are faithfull, to God and your family, and I admire you for that. You truly are an inspiration of faith, love, and mother hood. I love you.