Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Clearing Out The Donation Box

I'm sure you are well aware of the many requests for donations that come through the mail this time of year. We get so many that I haven't had to buy address labels in three years! And the rosaries, and spare change, and prayer cards are overwhelming. Each time I get one of these requests in the mail, I read through it, decide if it's a cause I'd like to donate to, and if it is I put it in the donation "box" which is really just a drawer in my desk.

But since I can't donate to all of them, the "box" has been becoming fuller and fuller. There's guilt there too, you know. My conscience tugs at me every time I get another in the mail and it gets relegated to the "box".

NO MORE! I have decided to clear out the "box". I'm not looking twice (except to take a picture). They are getting tossed as well as the guilt. Is this wrong to do three days before Christmas? I don't think so. We donate to what we donate to, and I may or may not ever donate to some of these other causes. Should I keep them around just because they are "worthy"? Again, I don't think so. Goodbye box 'o guilt, goodbye!

No comments: