Monday, June 15, 2009

Camping Trip (A Little Late)

Looking through pictures today, I realized that I never blogged about our camping trip from a few weeks ago. Late is better than never, though, so here goes.

Hubby and I had talked about the logistics of having the four of us sleeping in the tent. For those of you who have your baby sleep in bed with you, I suppose this would have been a non-issue, but I have always been petrified of rolling on the baby, or suffocating the baby, ect., ect., so we've never done it. I've always just had the kids in the crib in our room. So for this trip, we decided we would put Ladybug in a laundry basket (made snuggly, of course), and Fritter would sleep in his own sleeping bag. The basket seemed like a great idea, but Ladybug was a little long for it.



We decided to go for it anyway, as I didn't see any other option. It worked out fine. At first.

The weather took a rotten turn, and dumped rain most of that first day. Fritter went through all of the clothes that I brought him, and Ladybug spent most of her time in the tent. It was cold, especially for us coming from 90 degrees. Thankfully, the rain did eventually stop, and the kids were so tired that when we put the two of them to bed, they both fell asleep right away. Hubby and I enjoyed our S'mores in peace.

When we went to bed, we thought the worst was over. However, it was a cold night (that happens at 9500 ft. when it's been raining for three days straight) and Ladybug woke up around 11. After nursing her and warming her up, I bundled her and put her back in the basket, but she just cried and cried. After trying everything I could think of to calm her down (I could not figure out what was wrong with her), her little hat accidentally fell off. She stopped crying immediately. It seems the hat was a little too small and she didn't like it. But it was cold, and she doesn't have much hair to keep her head warm, so I had to come up with something different.

I bundled her next to me, and made a little papoose-like-thing for her out of the blankets. She finally slept, but I didn't sleep much at all. I was so worried about the blanket being over her head, and though there was enough space for her to breath and get fresh air, I still worried. (I sound like a first time mom, huh? ;-) ) Eventually I did sleep, but very lightly.

The next morning was beautiful, with no sign of rain. We took a small hike next to the creek that went through camp.

Here's a great picture of Fritter, doing his Fritter thing.

Ladybug and I hiking.

A closer look at the sleepy head.

The family.

We did head home a little earlier than we had planned, but DH and I were so tired that we were happy with that decision.

We learned a few things on that trip. We are going home to Wyoming for the Fourth of July, and will be taking a camping trip to the family's cabin. While we may not be sleeping in our tent (although we may), I will be bringing plenty of blankets this time. And I am going to try to find one of those sleeping bag sleepers for Ladybug, with a hat that fits her. ;-)

1 comment:

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Pretty pictures! And your kids are cute, too!