Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Positive Things In Life

Yesterday evening, I told my husband about reading a certain story online. After patiently hearing me complain and lamenting the woes of today, he very gently said, "I'm going to tell you something, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way." Great, I'm thinking, already taking it the wrong way (isn't it funny how we do that!) He went on to tell me that perhaps I read too much about the negative things that are happening (they are all over the place, how could I miss them?) and that maybe I should skip over that stuff and just focus on the reason I read blogs in the first place: for support, for learning more about my faith and taking care of my family, for encouragement. And you know, he's right.

I can be greatly affected by some of these outside influences. And the constant jolt of negativity sends me on a downward spiral of moroseness. Before long, I start to see more negative things than positive in my day. And that's not the way it should be. As Christians, we are a joyful people. We have the Good News!

I've mentioned before that the past few months have been rough on me, and I'm curious as to how much of that has to do with my perception of things. If I'm always seeing the negative, than I'm missing all the wonderful positives around me.

There are some people who seem to emanate joy. When you are around them, you can't help but smile. The world seems to be a more pleasant place. And then there are those whom a dark cloud seems to follow, like Schleprock. I want to be a joyful person.

Now, I'm not saying that we should all just ignore those things that are negative, just because they bring us down. There are definite evils out there that should not be ignored, abortion, euthanasia, and the downfall of the family, just to name a few. We must speak out against these things. But, our everyday lives should be so filled with joy that the evils can't touch us, can't bring us down.

That said, I am taking my husbands advice, and staying away from some of the more negative stories that seem to permeate a select area of the blogosphere. The great thing about this is, really I won't have to cut out much. My favorite blogs are the more positive ones anyway. I feel lighter already! ;-)