Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Apostles

When I first picked Pope Benedict's book, The Apostles, to review, I did so because it looked like the type of book that every Catholic family should have on their bookshelf. I was not mistaken. This book looks at Jesus' Apostles and gives a short biography on each one.

The lessons we can all learn from this incredible group of men are endless. These were ordinary men, some who initially led not-so-holy lives. From tax-collectors to fishermen, they were called to witness Christ's life and build His Church.

The Pope writes in such clear language that it does not take a scholar to read this book. Indeed, I read it a few pages (sometimes a few paragraphs) at a time before bed.

The Apostles is enhanced with beautiful illustrations throughout from artists such as Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and many others. I can easily see this book being used to supplement a homeschool or religious education program. It would also make a great gift for First Communion and Confirmation. Or, like me, to be used for personal study and to add to the family bookshelf. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the lives of Christ's Apostles.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book Reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on The Apostles Illustrated Edition .

No comments: