Friday, January 16, 2009

Separation Anxiety

Fritter has a BAD case of separation anxiety. I didn't think we would have to go through this, because he's always been a very independent, happy kid. However, he has had so many changes in the past few months. From the birth of Ladybug, to Grandma H. visiting, then Grandma Z. visiting, and Christmas, and the end of Christmas, and DH going back to work. He is not the same kid. If I am not giving him my constant, full attention, then he's trying to get it. Or he'll sit quietly and suck his thumb. I'm starting to go a little batty, and I'm getting worried about him. I've put off housework and everything else in order to spend extra time with him. I do understand how hard all of this is for him. But it's getting so hard. I even feel guilty spending time with Ladybug. And she needs me just as much as he does. Has anyone else ever gone through this? Is it a stage? What can I do to make it easier on all of us? Especially since we will be moving into a house soon. Yet another change. *sigh*

1 comment:

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Yes, it is a stage, and as with all stages, this too shall pass. My younger son was literally attached to me for the first four years of his life, and then one day, he woke up and was ready to take on the world. Just let him know that he is loved and spend as much time with him as you can even when you are taking care of the baby. It will all work out!