Friday, January 23, 2009

Saints at the Dinner Table

I've had Saints at the Dinner Table for quite some time now, but have not gotten a chance to try it out, let alone review it for obvious reasons. Last weekend after Ladybug's baptism, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try something from the book. However, when I looked through the recipes, I only found one that would fit our budget and that didn't seem to difficult for me to try. I like to cook and try new things, usually, but I'm not willing to go over our grocery budget in order to do it.

The one recipe I did try was St. Margaret's Charity Soup Meal. It was a hit with my family, made a lot of soup, and did not hurt the budget. One thing I really thought would be good with this book was the biographies of the saints. I thought that we would sit down for dinner and go over the life of that particular saint. Unfortunately, our family is young, and while Fritter was doing his Fritterish thing at the table, I was trying to read. My dear husband suggested that perhaps this was too much for our family right now, and I had to agree.

So, I would recommend this book for a family that is willing to experiment with new recipes with their family, AND they have children that are old enough to benefit from the reading. The information in it is good. However, for a young family like mine, I wouldn't recommend it.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book Reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Saints at the Dinner Table.

No comments: