Friday, September 19, 2008

Take My Breath Away

First, let me start off by saying that I did take Michelle's advice (scroll down to the comments) and upped the amount of protein I'm eating. That's helped. I also mentioned this to my doctor, who said that when you eat carbs, your blood sugar goes up, and without the protein to balance things out, it also comes crashing down really fast. She said I needed to be eating at least 10 grams of protein with each meal.

It seems there's always something going on during this pregnancy. Last evening, while DH and I watched The Count of Monte Cristo, I felt like my breath was getting short a couple of times. Nothing dramatic, just a quick shortness of breath and then it would be normal again. I didn't think too much of it until I went to bed that evening. While laying there, it happened a few more times and I also felt like my heart was skipping a beat. So I felt for my pulse and just relaxed and waited for it to happen again. Sure enough, when I would get the shortness of breath, my heart would skip.

At first, I got a little scared and told DH what was happening. I then got up and walked around a little, which seemed to help. So I got online and did some searching, and it seems that this is a fairly normal thing to happen during pregnancy, especially when the mom is carrying like I am this time. That was comforting to know, but it didn't change the fact that it was still happening and wasn't exactly a pleasant experience.

I thought maybe the baby decided to shift a little and put pressure on something, so I did some cat-cow stretches to try to get the baby to shift. It helped a little bit, but I ended up falling asleep sitting up, because it didn't seem to happen as much. It's happened a few times today as well, and while I'm not worried, I think I'm still going to put a call in to my doctor.

It's funny how each pregnancy is different. With Fritter, I did not experience as many of the things I have with this one. I also carried very different. This time everything is right up front, and I almost look normal from behind (almost). I was much wider with Fritter, and gained my weight all over. Perhaps this means we're having a little girl!

4 comments:

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

I experienced a lot of shortness of breath with each of my pregnancies. I don't exactly remember what my doctor said about it other than I think it had to do with the pregnancy crowding up to my lungs, thus reducing the amount of space for the lungs to expand. I remember even standing in church would get me breathless.
Mention it to your doctor. It's probably just an uncomfortable pregnancy thing.

Cmerie said...

Thanks Lisa. I did decide to call my doctor who said that the baby is putting pressure on one of my main arteries that goes to my heart (I think it's the vena cava?) which reduces the blood flow, making me feel like I'm short of breath. She said it's totally normal at this stage of my pregnancy, especially considering how I am carrying this baby. The best thing I can do is make sure I'm sitting up straight, laying on my left side, ect. I did try some cat-cow stretches the other night, but it didn't really help. I'm guessing it's just something I'll get used to, as long as it means the baby is growing, that's a good thing.

Michelle said...

I'm glad the protein helped!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the SOB and the feeling of your heart skipping a beat. Sometimes I feel I have to force a good inspiration (mainly at night when I go to relax on the couch)and around the same time I definately feel my heart pounding. Even laying on my side doesn't help sometimes. I just try to get into a good position a not move around too much to keep my heart rate down (last night when this happened my resting heart rate was 99 bpm.) Good thing is it usually goes away as quickly as it came on-about10- 15mins. I find comfort knowing this is the norm for some.

~Ashleigh