Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mom's Group

Today after Mass, I was approached by a woman who invited me to a mom's group meeting that was about to get started. Of course I said I would love to go. If you know me personally, you know that I'm not very good at social things. I'm the one who stands awkwardly around, waiting for someone to first approach me. I'm also not great at holding up my side of the conversation when I'm nervous. So this could have proven to be a large mistake on my part. Me, walk into a group of people completely unprepared? But, I'm in desperate need of a friend. So desperate, in fact, that I would willing venture out of my comfort zone to meet one.

And you know what? It turned out great. The three women who were there were all very nice. And chatty. I love chatty people. It takes the pressure off those of us who never know what to say. And they ask you questions and make you feel comfortable. So enough, I was talking and holding up my side of the conversation, and getting to know some people at my parish. It was great. Then one of the ladies invited us all to Ikea afterwards for lunch and more playtime for the kiddos. Again, I said I would go, however, I was skeptical. Ikea for lunch and playtime? I thought it was a furniture store. Not that I'd ever been in one.

In the children's furniture section, they have everything set out so you can actually let your child play with the items. Fritter had a blast with a swivel chair. They also have a large cafeteria with a play area.

All in all, it turned out well. One of the ladies is about 10 years older than me, but got married and started her family "late" (as she called it). Her daughter is 14 months old. She took my phone number down and is going to call me for a "play date" that she is going to next week sometime. Now, I'm not all into doing play dates and things. I generally think Fritter is fine socially. However, I think this is more about meeting a friend for me. I'm very excited about it. Also, on Friday, they invited us to go to a splash pad with them. Umm...yeah, I think I'll go. :-)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like some answered prayers!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, cmerie!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. I think about you often and want to call you one of these days..........life has just been crazy here this summer! May God bless you and keep you, dear friend. Squeeze that not-so-little fritter for me.

Much love,
Kate

Cmerie said...

Answered prayers indeed! I'm still excited about it this morning. ;-)

Kate, I understand how busy things can get, especially after a move like yours. I will give Fritter a hug for you, as long as you squeeze yours for me. God bless you!