Thursday, July 3, 2008

God Will Provide

Since getting pregnant, I have been having some anxiety about who will take Fritter when I go into labor. With no family around, and no real friends (just acquaintances) my options are thin. I ran through the small list of people again and again, and still have not really settled on anyone. Many of the women I know already have their hands full with their own busy families. Some of the mothers also work on weekends or evenings, leaving their children with the fathers.

Also, I have this pride issue, and it's very, very hard for me to ask for help. I've tried really hard to become self-sufficient because of necessity in my younger years. But, as you all know, we cannot raise a family all on our own. We need the help of our husbands, and other family, and if that is not available, our community. Things like this were easier many years ago, when community was a big deal.

So I turned to God and His mother for help. I've prayed about it long and hard, and really tried to leave it in their hands as I just didn't know what else to do. I think He was waiting for me to do just that. To trust Him enough to help. He did.

A couple of days ago, I received a call from a women in my church group who was trying to organize our meetings later this fall. After getting my take on the schedule, she asked if I had any family nearby. When I answered no, she began to tell me how, when she first moved to this area, she was pregnant with little ones at home, and became really stressed over what to do when she went into labor. She eventually found someone, but it was a major cross for her to carry. She told me that her and her husband would be glad to take Fritter when I went into labor. They would even pick him up for us. What's more, she wanted to invite all of us over a couple of times so Fritter (and we) could get to know them all better.

This woman has become a God send for me. I feel as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. It took everything in me not to weep over the phone to her in gratitude. I did, however, cry on my Dh's shoulders after the call. She is a very busy homeschooling mother of 5, who is not only willing to take my son for us when we need her to, but who also had the foresight to even ask if that was something we needed.

It's taking some time for us to adjust here, but I know that God is working with us. He is helping us through the kindness of our neighbors.

3 comments:

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

What a good testimony of God providing for our every need. Maybe this woman and her family will be a source of blessing in the future, too!

Michelle said...

What a rellief for you.


As a mom of a large family, I assure you that having a few little friends over is very easy for me. I would think nothing of hosting 4 or 5 or 6 children for a day. They would mostly entertain themselves. I'm sure Fritter will miss you much, but this woman will have plenty of help in keeping him distracted. It is much much harder for someone with only a few children to host 4 or 5, than for someone with many children to host the same number.

It is also very good that Fritter will have a chance to get to know them with you there to reasure him.

Adding a second child to a fmaily is, in my opinion, harder than adding the first, and much harder than adding #3 or #4 or #5 or #6. It is well worth it, though!

Cmerie said...

Thank you so much for that reassurance, Michelle.

It's definitely a little intimidating adding baby #2 to the mix. Questions like "Will I have enough love to give?" "How will #1 handle not getting all the attention", ect. I'm sure things will be fine, and really, Fritter will probably thrive even more having a sibling around. Growing up an only child, though, I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Luckily, dh is from a large family, so he does. ;-)