Monday, May 19, 2008

To Tutor Or Not To Tutor...

I have been considering for quite a while to begin tutoring kids in my area in math. I do have a degree in it, and I've been thinking that I could help bring in a little extra money for our family. I was offered a "visit" with a 5th grader who has been having trouble in math. His mother wants a tutor over the summer to get him caught up and keep his brain fresh. It would only be two days a week for about an hour a day. The pay is ok, it's less than what most tutors charge, but then again, I've never really tutored before.

I have been going back and forth on this, and really need to make a decision soon. On one hand, it could be a pretty good experience for me. I could help a kid out (hopefully) whose been struggling and bring in a little extra for our household.

On the other hand the mother wants it to be after 5:30, which would enable my husband to be with Fritter, but would take away that time from my family. What about dinner? I know, it's only two nights a week, but still...

Also, self-doubt creeps in. Am I really cut out for this? Where would I even begin? What if I messed the boy up in math even more than he already is? I'm sure someone else would do a better job than I could. Sigh. We don't really need the money, and I do struggle as it is keeping up with things at home (although I'm reading a Mother's Rule of Life and trying to get better at my vocation).

Any advice for me? Have you ever done any extra work outside the home (or at home work) while balancing your family life? How did it go for you?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Well, if you did one kid for just the summer, that is a short term obligation and if it didn't work then you just wouldn't do it again.

Does Daddy normally have one-on-one time with Fritter? Family time is great, but so is father-son time. It's nice for a child to have dad take care of him the way mom normally does - or do different things, like teach him how to root for his favorite baseball team.

I do recommend that you have dinner together though. Schedule the work for afterward.

Cheryl said...

I think that if you don't need the money, then why do it? If you can think of some other good reasons why you'd like to do it, then maybe you could negotiate a better time so that it won't interfere with your dinners.

(I feel funny giving my opinion, but you did ask.)

Cmerie said...

Thank you for your input. I'm still thinking about it, and I'll let you know what I decide. Cheryl, please don't feel strange giving me your opinion. I did ask for it, and really do want it.

Cmerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

I did some tutoring this year which I had never done before and really enjoyed it. I think you would do great!

I know the time is hard and when my kids were real little, my only time out of the house by myself was one hour a month to go to my spiritual director. If your husband has no problem with it, however, I would encourage you to do it. A couple hours a week is not that much and it would give them some father/son time.

Even in the midst of the important job of motherhood, it is important to have some "you" time as well - time when you can use your gifts and feel like you are contributing to the world at large. As one of the other commenters pointed out, you can try it for the summer which is not that long, and if it doesn't work out, you know it wasn't meant to be. It isn't a long-term commitment.

I'll say a prayer for you!