Sunday, February 17, 2008

Supermom's Simple Guide a Review

When I first picked up "Supermom’s Simple Guide to Healthier Eating for Beginners and Beyond" by Erica Johns I was immediately wary. Anything that challenges me to be a “supermom”, especially when it’s speaking about healthy eating, puts me on guard. However, after reading this book cover to cover in about an hour, I believe it is a very good starting source for anyone who knows almost nothing about nutrition or where to start making healthy choices, like myself.

I will say that a reader should take some of the information with a grain of salt. Use this book as a starting point, and do a little of your own research. For example, Erica Johns recommends drinking distilled water, and while I am by no means an expert on the subject, I have read a few other sources that only recommend distilled water for short periods of time, or not at all. Also, there are few places where the sources of information are actually sited. There is a section in the back of the book listing additional resources, however.

On the whole, I think Erica Johns is fairly realistic about how to start making healthy choices and how it is not always possible.

When you have friends kind enough to bring you food when you’re on bed rest for 7 weeks, you don’t say no or give them a long list of Dos and Don’ts. You say Thank You and eat it! ☺
- Erica Johns pg. 8

If we take in all of the health information we read or hear about, we can soon feel unsure if anything is fit to eat! Know what? That’s no way to live! You need to find a way to do what you can, when you can, and not beat yourself up about it when you can’t.
- Erica Johns pg. 9

Throughout this book you will also find some very simple tips that cost absolutely nothing. Some of it is common sense like chewing your food well. Others are things you may not know such as not drinking with your meals. There are simple rules to follow about food combining, “melons are best eaten alone, not in addition to other foods,” page 46. Towards the end of the book, there is an entire section about food combining that is a very helpful resource and can be used for meal planning.

"Supermom’s Simple Guide" got me excited to make small, healthy choices for my family. Erica Johns has written with very clear and easy to read language. Whether you read this book cover to cover, as I did, or use it as a reference guide, this book will be a great start for helping you and your family make healthy choices.

To find out more information and to order this ebook, visit this website.

No comments: