Oh my gosh!! You can't even drink water anymore without wondering what's in it! Up north of us, people were warned not to drink or cook with their tap water because it may be contaminated with Trichloroethylene (TCE). I wasn't sure what this was, so I googled it. It is a chemical used to clean machinery parts. From the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry:
Trichloroethylene is a colorless liquid which is used as a solvent for cleaning metal parts. Drinking or breathing high levels of trichloroethylene may cause nervous system effects, liver and lung damage, abnormal heartbeat, coma, and possibly death.
You can be exposed to this chemical by:
Breathing air in and around the home which has been contaminated with trichloroethylene vapors from shower water or household products such as spot removers and typewriter correction fluid.
Drinking, swimming, or showering in water that has been contaminated with trichloroethylene.
Contact with soil contaminated with trichloroethylene, such as near a hazardous waste site.
Contact with the skin or breathing contaminated air while manufacturing trichloroethylene or using it at work to wash paint or grease from skin or equipment.
Technically, we live outside the area affected by this, but not THAT far! We normally drink bottled water, but I'm thinking we're going to be cooking with it from now on as well. And showering...Ummm...
Good, hubby is home. I need his strength and opinion for this one.