Thursday, January 3, 2008

Our Christmas Vacation

Overall it was a very good trip, but I must say, I am happy to be home. Oh, of course I miss my family and friends, but I gotta tell you, I did not miss the bitter cold that accompanies Wyoming winters. We did drive, and the trip started out very nice. As the picture below tells you, we were all in very good spirits.



On the way, we actually drove over Hoover Dam. This was exciting for both DH and I, him being an engineer, and me studying architectural engineering for a while in school. They are actually building a bridge so cars will no longer be able to drive over the dam once it is complete.



We drove all the way to Wyoming in one day. We learned our lesson, we will not be doing that again. But for the most part, the weather was ok. There were some places in Utah where we didn't think the roads would stay open, but they did, and we made it.

After driving through snow, we wanted to actually enjoy it. It was extremely cold, however (how's 2 degrees for you?), and so after much bundling, we stayed outside long enough to take this picture.


Christmas Eve, we went to Midnight Mass, as usual. It was nice, but sad to say not very many people showed up, even for small town Wyoming standards.

Christmas Day, we enjoyed the company of my mother and father -in-law, and also my BIL and SIL and their two boys, and another BIL and SIL from Washington state. We opened gifts, and Fritter was pleased to find what Santa had left him.


But more than anything, he enjoyed playing in the mess that took over the entire house.



Later that day, the neighbors across the street were expecting visitors. The white van you see in the below picture, however got very stuck in the middle of the street, and of course the guys in our house had an opportunity to play in the snow.


A couple of days after Christmas, my SIL and I decided to take a walk. It was cold, but the wind was not blowing. As we neared the park, we came upon three deer in someones yard. As we walked slowly closer, one of the deer noticed us, but did not run away. I think these deer are fairly used to people being around. My SIL asked me if we needed to worry about the deer charging us, so after taking this picture, we crossed the street, away from them.



On the other side of the street were some horses, including a mama and baby. Not shown in this picture is the daddy who stood right by the fence in front of us the whole time, protecting them.



Right before we left for my family's part of the state, we received Flat Stanley from our family in Georgia. Stanley wanted to experience the snow before he left with us, so we showed him the snow the same way we showed Fritter the snow, only Stanley did not come equipped with a coat and hat.

After this leg of the trip, we went to visit my family in another part of the state. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures, and so I am going to have to rely on other family members, who were prepared with their cameras, to email me pictures.

Anyway, it was a pleasant visit followed by a very long drive home. This drive we split into two days. I think next Christmas, we might fly home.

2 comments:

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Fritter looks like he had such fun!
Your pictures of the snow are nice!
Thanks for sharing them.
Have a wonderful new year!

Cmerie said...

He did. With all the attention he got over vacation, it's been a little hard on him only having me at home with him, but we are adjusting back to normal.