Tuesday, December 18, 2007

You Have To Try These!

Starting yesterday, I am baking a batch of cookies everyday to take with us to Wyoming. I was a little bit nervous about it though, because my father-in-law is the real cookie baker in the family. Unfortunately, since he was diagnosed with bladder cancer this summer (and of course after two surgeries and two rounds of chemo so far) he is not up to it this year. Because my mother-in-law has quite a bit to do, between taking care of Dad, and preparing for their guests, I volunteered to make some snacks so they don't have to.

My plan is to make chocolate chip cookies, Russian tea cakes, chocolate biscotti, and gingersnaps. Yesterday I made the chocolate chip cookies. I used Danielle's recipe, Best Ever (Really!) Chocolate Chip Cookies. She is not joking. These really are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. They don't go flat on you. They are chewy and yummy.

Before I made them, I looked over the ingredient list. The recipe calls for shortening, which (I know, I know) I have never used before, and didn't own. I considered substituting butter and reducing the salt like I've read you can do. But another cookie recipe also calls for shortening, so I decided to suck it up and buy some. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE THE SHORTENING! I'm pretty sure that that is what made these cookies not go flat on me. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't take the chance unless you really know what you're doing, and even then...

S0, if you are in the mood to bake during this preparation time for Christmas, put on some fun music (or in my case a fun podcast) and make these cookies. Your family will thank you!

PS- If the other cookies turn out good, I will post a link to those recipes as well.

No comments: