Monday, December 3, 2007

First Sunday of Advent

This is a day late, but that's OK, because now I can tell you how our First Sunday of Advent went. We went to mass at the parish I think we are FINALLY going to register at (it's been a long road finding a parish, more on that later). It was a nice mass, and a packed house. Unfortunately, we ended up sitting in front of a group that complained the whole time about anything and everything. Like at the end of mass, Father was telling us all that December 8th is the feast day of the Immaculate Conception, which is a holy day of obligation. He felt the need (it's unfortunate that he had to, but I guess people try to get out of mass as much as possible, sad) to mention that just going to mass on the 9th (which is a Sunday) does not fulfill their obligation, and that they had to go both Saturday and Sunday. Someone from the group behind us complained, "The only reason we have to go both days is so that Pope Benedict can get two collections". Ummm...what? I'm not even going to grace that with a comment, but I'm sure you feel the same way I do.

Anyway, besides that it was a good mass. Afterwards, we let Fritter practice walking around on uneven ground outside. There is a small grassy hill by a tree outside of the parish, and that is where we went. It was very cute seeing him try to walk up the hill. He would make it a couple of steps forward, and then gravity would take his steps backwards, and then he would plop on his bottom, only to try again. He even got a couple of people who were outside talking to cheer for him when he went forward. Very fun.

After mass, we drove to a neighborhood that I had spied on my way to my class last Wednesday. It is a very cute neighborhood, with grass all over and three (yes three!) parks in the area. And there are kids everywhere! It has become my dream neighborhood, and when we begin looking for a house, I think we will start there.

Once at home, we put together our Advent wreath. Last years wreath was very disposable, mostly because we were in a very small apartment, and could not keep anything besides necessities around. This year, we took a little more time with it, and I think it turned out well.


Speaking of Advent wreaths, Karen Edmisten's recent post has some great links to advent prayers. Check it out, won't you?

On another note, Fritter seems to have another ear infection, so we're going to the doctor's office today for that. He seems to have allergies (although I didn't really know it was allergy season, but maybe it is in Arizona) and I think the stuffiness in his nose is what has caused it. He had a low grade fever last night, but so far today doesn't seem to have one. We'll see what the doctor says. For a little guy who has rarely been sick, and who didn't have even one ear infection in his first year, this seems to be happening a lot. I suppose part of it is that he's not receiving any more immunities from me, so his little system is now having to fight on it's own. *Sigh*. But, I get my wisdom teeth out on Friday, so that's good. I guess ;-).

Well, I'm rambling, and if you've made it this far in my post, thanks for sticking around. Have a blessed Monday.

No comments: